Let’s talk about creating healthier versions of foods children recognize and will actually eat.
Yes. We bought a can of Hunt’s Manwich. The first ingredient is tomato paste, which is incredible for you, but it has other junk like corn syrup in it- twice actually. High Fructose corn syrup and corn syrup- interesting. This product has about five ingredients, if, you group all the dehydrated vegetable as one.
But i don’t count dehydrated vegetables at all!
This needs some serious “doctoring up.” Next time, we’ll make the sauce ourselves, but this was a quick dinner solution. Wait until you see how many vegetables we added! The kids never knew the difference. They polished off their plates and wanted more. If only they knew- mushrooms! And more.
******HINT: food processor******
Sloppy FARMER Joe’s / Serves 6
- 2 lbs lean ground meat of choice (bison, chicken, turkey, etc.) (not 1 lb like it says on the label)
- the can, lol
- 2 cups roughly chopped raw mushrooms
- 2 raw red peppers, stems & seeds discarded
- 1/2 raw red onion
- 3 cloves raw garlic, peeled
- Brown meat in large saucepan until it’s no longer pink.
- Add the can, lol
- Hike that food processor up onto the counter and puree the last four ingredients. Add to meat in saucepan.
- Serve on soft rolls so kids will find it “friendly.” We used Brioche rolls. (Trader Joes and Whole Foods) You could also do mini sliders for their little hands :).
You’ll want seconds, and so will your kids.