I spent the weekend reading about grains.
(I know, right?)
I was the last one in my family to come down with the stupid cold, when a book arrived at my door- “Amazing Grains” cookbook by author Ghillie James. So i plopped into bed and dug in.
I wanted to share with you, what i think, is the best food tip in the whole book. She calls it,
My “go to” quick-fix, five-step everyday salad.
1. Cook up one or more grains- quinoa, whole grain couscous, bulgur wheat, pearl barley, brown rice, etc.
2. Add some fruit/vegetables- just raid the fridge in search of color and crunch, she says.
3. Throw in in a little protein- like feta, canned tuna, bacon, white beans, leftover meats, chickpeas, salami, shrimp, goat cheese, black beans, etc.
4. Sprinkle on nuts and seeds- pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, almonds, pine nuts, flaxseed, peanuts, etc.
5. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt & pepper.
My first “go to” salad was a hit.
Now that i have this secret formula in the back of my head, it makes being creative and eating salad for lunch a little more easy and fun… and let’s you stay in those pajamas just that much longer.